Hi! I’m NoelPaulo Nieto Flores. I am 19 years old and I’m a Filipino. I am an Electrical Engineering student at the University of the Philippines, Los Banos. I am the artist behind “strictly.pencils,” an instagram account I made 5 months ago. At this point in time, drawing realistic 3-D objects on 2-D paper is what I’ve been working on. It’s hard at times, but the result is certainly rewarding.
2) Where are you located?
I am from Nueva Ecija, Philippines.
3) How did you get started?
I can’t even remember when I started to draw. I draw characters, random objects, and that’s it. However, it was just December of last year (2014) when I decided to level things up. With the materials I just received as a gift, I quickly drew a 3-D tree on a paper. I was happy with the outcome, because it was my first 3-D artwork. So I decided to draw more and more until I get better in realistic drawing.
4) Show us a picture of your tools!
I use mainly Faber Castell colored pencils (Polychromos & ArtGrip) and Derwent graphite pencils.
5) Do you sell your works? If yes then how do we buy?
At the moment, no. I really want my artworks to be aesthetically smooth (not just in photographs!) when the time comes that I will have them up for sale. Plus, I really still have so much to learn on realistic drawing, especially with the shadings and stuff. So I guess now’s not the time.
6) How do we get in touch with you?
You can contact me through my g-mail account (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also DM me on instagram. (You can reach me more easily with the latter )
7) What is your advice to aspiring artists?
TWO THINGS I DID AND STILL DOING AS AN ARTIST.
1. OBSERVE. Just like what I did, I observed, and you may find this very helpful. Browsing art portfolios on instagram and joining art groups on facebook have helped me extensively with my skills. In mere examination of someone’s art, we can to see how they create shades and add tones of color just with their strokes. Finding an awesome artist to be inspired with is also helpful. Mine’s a remarkable italian illustrator when it comes to realism, Marcello Barenghi. Up till now, I still watch his youtube videos, looking at his techniques as he effortlessly apply color on plain canvas.
2. PRACTICE. Practice allows artists to reach new heights – even the greatest artists started with a simple sketch. You never know what you can do and what you’re capable of if you never put your ideas on paper.