10 Simple ways to reach deadline on time
Deadline is something that always reminds everyone of tension, pressure and stress. Employee doesn’t like the hard and fast rule of deadline but the bitter truth is that no one can ignore it. To manage a work, deadline is important because without it a work will never be completed within a certain time. As one cannot avoid deadline, one can at least try to work along with deadline. You cannot afford crossing deadlines because along with creating an unhealthy impression of yours on the client, it also spoils your reputation and might create problems for you to get works in future from the same client and many a time from others as well. Managing deadline is more difficult for freelancers because being employees who work from their own comfort zone, there might be many things hindering them or distracting them from work. And lack of maintenance over working hours might create problems for them in completing a given task within a given time. There are few ways through which freelancer can adapt with deadline. This article will discuss about ways to follow in order to reach deadline on time.
Before getting into the ways of reaching deadline, let’s first understand briefly the different sorts of deadlines that a freelancer might face during their work experience. There are different variations of deadline such as rush deadlines, one time deadlines, phased deadlines and so on. Rush deadline is that where a freelancer take a job acknowledging the fact that there will be deadlines throughout the job. This type of deadline involves lot of pressure because you need to me strict with time lines and might need to invest extra hours always in the job. Freelancers do charge much for rush deadline works. One time deadlines are those where the freelancers and clients agree upon a certain date for completion of the work. This type of deadline doesn’t work very often within a job but when it does it creates lot of pressure and tension. Phased deadlines are those where you deal with your clients as par phases and after completion of each phase a new target with new time line occurs. These are the different types of deadlines that a freelancer might face during their work tenure. Now, let’s look through the ways to tackle deadlines. Keeping in mind all the different types of deadlines few simple methods are mentioned to reach deadlines. Here are 10 simple ways to reach deadline on time:
- Taking deadlines seriously: This is the basic factor of tackling deadlines. You cannot complete a work within deadline unless and until you are serious about it. You need to understand the seriousness about the whole idea of deadline and complete your task within that duration without wasting time. There might be situations where your client has not reacted badly against you not completing a work within time. But this will not be so always and you might face real problems if you show lack of seriousness towards deadlines. Realize the fact that crossing deadlines will harm your reputation as a freelancer and thus hamper your work. Therefore, be serious about deadline and start maintaining working hours from beginning itself.
- Accept reasonable deadlines: You can reach deadline on time only when the deadline itself is reasonable. Suppose a five days work is expected to be completed within one day, that is impossible and accepting such deadlines will be completely insane. It is very important therefore for you to take up only reasonable deadlines. You can track your freelancing time and thus fix up a reasonable deadline. And if your client refuse to make a change, it is better to give away that task rather than committing for something and then failing to keep up that commitment. Therefore, always accept reasonable deadlines that you think you are capable of handling.
- Communicate frankly on deadlines: It is very important to communicate clearly while working within a profession and with other people. Deadline is less spoken about and you tend to accept it without giving a thought for the future. Ty to communicate with your clients openly about deadline. If you think it is impossible, just say no and do not make fake promises or commitment. Sometimes you agree and make a commitment of completing a particular work within a deadline but later realize that it is not possible to complete the work on deadline. Speak about it then and there with your client and make clear the facts why the deadline is impossible to reach. This will help your client negotiate about the deadline and also create a healthy client-employee relationship between you and your client.
- Start it today: Never make a habit of postponing things for tomorrow. Always start a work today itself. Even if you are not capable of completing the task today, a start always is better than nothing. Also many freelancers find it difficult to give the first start and it takes lot of time. Overcome this difficulty and start the work today itself so that you succeed in completing the task on time
- Schedule your work time: It is very important to schedule work hours. You might be think that as a freelancer there is flexibility of working hours and you can work any time of the day but without planning this will ever happen. Thus, it is very important to schedule your work time and follow it strictly. If you are a morning worker schedule morning working hours and if a late night worker schedule night working hours but scheduling or planning is very important. Also following it seriously is as important. There might be many distractions as you are working from home but you need to avoid such distractions and dedicate your schedule working hours completely on work so that you can complete your work before deadline.
- Balancing work and play: Always maintain a balance between work and play and do not let the both over lap. While work coming into play will make you frustrated, play coming into work will hamper completing the work within deadline. Therefore, schedule your work and play hours properly and follow it. This will help you remain focused in work during working hours and thus help you reach deadline on time.
- Breaking large into smaller: It is beneficial to break large project into smaller sections so that you can handle it more efficiently and effectively. Try to understand the project and divide it into various sections like a team does while dividing a work. Assign working hours against those sections and dedicate the required time for all the sections. This will help you deal with deadlines better because when you are working in sections; you will be clearer about the task and can work fast. Thus, following this way is a very simple and efficient way of reaching deadline on time.
- Set up daily goals: Along with scheduling your time, also schedule your daily goals or target. Suppose you get a project of completing 100 articles within 10 days. You can set a goal of completing 10 articles per day and do your work. This way you will be able to complete 100 articles easily on time otherwise you might end up with last minute rush and bad quality production. This will help you work within a certain time put by yourself which will help you to reach the actual deadline of clients. Therefore, set up daily goals and make sure that you achieve it every day.
- Prioritize important tasks: When you are offered a work, try to make a list of important tasks within the work or project before starting working on it. The tasks that are marked below ‘important list’ prioritize those tasks and complete that work first and then move on to the rest of the tasks. This helps you complete the important works first and then complete the easier task easily and fast thereafter. Thus, you will be able to reach deadline with your complete work.
- Move ahead of deadlines: Always try to move ahead of deadlines so that you do not face any problems at last moment. Suppose a certain task is supposed to be completed within one month, make sure that you target to complete it within 27 to 28 days so that there are extra time for you to check through and give a polish to your work. Also many problems might occur midway which will hamper your work for some hours or a day. This will create last minute rushes which will affect your quality production. Therefore always try to move ahead of deadline in order to avoid last minute rushes. It is better to complete early and relax rather than relaxing first and then facing last minute rushes.
These are 10 simple ways of reaching deadline on time. You can follow these 10 basic ways and include them with your freelancing decision and thus attain success in reaching deadline. It is very important to maintain quality along with deadline. Therefore, make sure that you never compromise your work quality for deadline. Maintain the above ten ways, create a quality production and you are all set to reach deadline on time.
10 Simple ways to reach deadline on time